Eye pillows are small, typically used to apply gentle weight around the eyes and to shield light, creating a comfortable experience for the user to aid in sleeping. It helps you fall asleep more quickly and stay asleep ensuring ample rest throughout the night hence making it a natural remedy for insomnia. Aromatherapy eye pillows are to be placed around your eyes for a soothing and relaxing aromatherapy as a way to unwind your mind during a break on your hectic schedules. In addition to the many health and cosmetic benefits of utilizing it, it can be used for both hot and cold therapies.
The warm compress use of the pillows induces relaxation, improves blood circulation thus reducing puffy eyes or soothes tension headaches. Cold compress use helps relieve eye strains from over excess reading or frequent use of electronic devices. The gentle weight of eye pillow elicits oculocardiac reflexes lowering the heart rate and lower cortisol levels (stress hormones).
Making Your Own Aromatic Eye Pillows
Eye pillows are easy to make and requires simple materials such you can easily find at home.
What You Need
- 1/2 yard of fabric that has been washed, dried, and ironed
- 5 cups of flax seeds (It is recommended to use flax seeds instead of rice for fillings as it retains heat longer, can be both heated up in a microwave of kept in the freezer)
- 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil (may be substituted according to scent preferences)
Mark the fabric on the non-printed side and cut the fabric into two 5-by-10-inch rectangles with a pair of scissors for the pillow
Place the two panels of the printed side of fabric together and align the raw edges. Stitch a half inch seam around the raw edges using a backstitch technique and leave one of the 4-inch side of the pillow open so you can add the filling later.
Spread out the flax seeds on a piece of baking tray. Add 3-4 drops of lavender essential oil to the flax seed and mix the seeds well. Wait 5-10 minutes for the oil to dry. Take the stitched up fabric and flip it so that the printed side of the pillow is facing out. Spoon 1 1/2 cups of the flax seeds into the pillow’s open seam.
Sealing the final seam
Ensure each side of the remaining 4-inch seam 1/2 inch is folded toward the inside of the pillow, and pin the opening closed. Using either a sewing machine or by hand, stitch a seam across the folded edges to close the 4-inch opening.
Choosing The Right Essential Oils
As different types of essential oils have differing benefits, the essential oils used in these pillows may be substituted. A few common Different types of essential oils used in these eye pillows and their purpose include:
- Expectorant, decongestant, beneficial for flu season, clears the mind and energizing
- Calming, reduces anxiety, good for wound healing, cell regeneration
- Antiviral, antimicrobial
- Antispasmodic, aids in soothing menstrual cramps, relieves anxiety/stress, insomnia, anti-inflammatory
- Various health benefits such as enhancing the immune system, antimicrobial, antibacterial, antifungal, antiviral
At Plant Guru, we have an extensive range of essential oils that you can choose from for your aromatherapy eye pillows. Wait no further, visit the store before making your aromatherapy eye pillows and have a good night rest!