Roughly around 80 percent of American people will suffer from back pain at some point in their life. Depending on the level of severity, back pain can be so draining especially when it is accompanied by inflammation. Such a condition will cause your daily movements, work, and hobbies to be greatly affected negatively and routines will appear more difficult. Acute back pain may require its sufferer to rest in bed while consuming pain medication whereas chronic back pain may just require lifestyle changes. Find out how you can relieve back pain with essential oils to promote better quality of life.
Essential Oils for Back Pain
Essential oils are extracted naturally from plant parts like leaves, flowers, seeds, fruits, and bark. They are used in aromatherapy and can be diluted as well as applied topically. Clinical studies have shown that some forms of essential oils can improve various body ailments including pain. Below is the list of essential oils that are known to display properties which can help alleviate back pain:
- Peppermint: It is most-commonly known for its menthol hue and as one of nature’s most effective analgesics. Pure peppermint oil has been widely used to alleviate pain from various sources.
- Wintergreen: It is a close relative of peppermint which possesses similar analgesic properties. It contains methyl salicylate that is comparable to aspirin. If you are consuming blood thinning medication, seek medical advice before using wintergreen.
- Lemongrass: It is known for its antifungal properties as well as its notable ability to reduce inflammation.
- Ginger: It is also great at reducing inflammation which was shown during a 2016 study concerning rheumatoid arthritis.
- Lavender: It is a multi-purpose agent which can be used for a wide variety of ailments like headaches, muscle pain, and back pain.
- Eucalyptus: It has anti-inflammatory properties that can have healing effects in muscles and joints.
- Chamomile: It can help to reduce muscle spasms and inflammation. If you react to ragweed, seek medical advice before using chamomile.
- Rosemary: It has benefits that have been clinically proven to reduce pain from menstrual cramps and rheumatic disorders.
- Sandalwood: It can reduce inflammation as well as over-the-counter prescriptions.
Using Essential Oils for Back Pain
You need to first locate the exact essential oil that can alleviate your back pain. Once you have found the most suitable type, find out how to use it properly so as not to cause any adverse health implications onto your body. Whether through inhalation, dilution, or topical application, learn about the exact method that can help tackle your back pain in the most efficient way.
Home Remedies for Back Pain
Aside from using essential oils, you can also prepare several home remedies to further alleviate your back pain. Below is the list for you to try out:
- Anti-inflammatory diet
- Core exercises
- Ice and heat treatment
- Back massages
- Physical activities
- Yoga and stretching exercises
Regardless of the treatment method that you are willing to try, the key is to do it consistently without overexerting yourself which may cause more harm than good to your back pain.