It is without a doubt that stress and anxiety levels have spiked due to the current COVID-19 global pandemic. Its persistent spread around the world has gotten many of us adjusting to the new norm. However, for the rest of us, the many unknowns are still getting to us which are causing us to feel down as our work, study, and life have been disrupted. If you are one of these few, consider aromatherapy to help you cope with the changes that may be highly daunting to both our mental and physical health.
How Aromatherapy Works
It is simple how aromatherapy truly works but results may vary for every individual user. When we are exposed to a variety of scents of essential oils, a series of events begin to take place as the process first starts in the nose. The scents send a signal to the brain which then controls the whole body. These events occur in a sequence and they include biochemical changes such as the release of hormones. This activity can trigger positive physiological reactions which include promoting better sleep, relaxation, energy levels, better focus, and pain relief.
Essential Oils are Effective
Essential oils are made up of several different compounds. Some of these compounds are responsible for the biochemical reactions due to the nature of how their chemical composition works. Each of their chemicals triggers different brain receptors which produce varying results depending on the chosen scent. This is the reason why different essential oil scents are used to alleviate different ailments. Whether it is to reduce a stressful heart or to increase one’s concentration, a suitable type of essential oil scent is needed.
Types of Essential Oils and Their Benefits
- Lavender – This essential oil is effective in calming anxiety. It is also used by those suffering from sleep troubles or high levels of stress.
- Bergamot – This essential oil promotes positive vibes to relieve stress and lower fatigue to increase energy levels.
- Lemongrass – This essential oil reduces anxiety symptoms and promotes relaxation for improved sleep.
- Neroli – This essential oil is an effective pain relief. When inhaled, it can also improve mood, focus, and memory.
- Peppermint – This essential oil has a cooling effect which is helpful on sore or achy muscles. It also contains analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Marjoram – This essential oil relaxes muscle tension and spasms while reducing inflammation.
Aromatherapy as Part of Our New COVID-19 Normal
Research has clearly shown that essential oils and aromatherapy can indeed be a safe and effective part of our coping system to deal with the new COVID-19 normal. When used responsibly, this combination can help us address symptoms like anxiety, stress, and insomnia. Symptoms that occur regularly over an extended period of time may become problematic for us to lead a normal life in general. With essential oils and aromatherapy, the interference to our work, school and life can be eased to a certain degree. They however, do not offer miracles but they do offer a healthy alternative to cope with fluctuating physiological changes.