The term “organic” has been trending most especially for health-conscious individuals. Many are enticed to buy products with this word added to a brand name or the product name itself. Take note that it is often used interchangeably with another popular consumer word, that is, “natural”. Before knowing what it means to buy organic essential oils, consider the following facts first:

What the Word “Organic” Means

The word is used to describe the farming ethics and processes for which the product or crop has been produced, cultivated, and processed. Generally, the process refers to protection, not only of the supply chain, but also the environment, ensuring that none of them are harmed in any point during production. Note, however, that organic certification is different from organic farming.

There are also several types of organic labels. Among those commonly used by manufacturers are “100% Organic”, “Made with Organic”, “Certified Organic/USDA Organic”, and “Contains Organic Ingredients”. All these wordings on food, cosmetic, or product labels represent different degrees of ‘purity’ for the products being manufactured.

More on Organic Certification

This certification is critical in order for a customer to say that the product is a result of organic farming. This means that the company is concerned on the environmental impact of the product manufacturing process. The product in itself should be proven environmentally- and animal-friendly before they are given certification.

There are common processes that qualify a product for being eco-friendly. One is using composting and “green” manures when introducing essential organic matter to the soil where the raw material of the product comes from. Another is rotating crops, which is important in balancing the soil’s nutrients while also warding it off from pests. Another method is protecting water from possible contamination while also preventing drought.

More on Organic Labels

When you see the phrase “CERTIFIED ORGANIC/USDA ORGANIC” on a product label, it means that the product shows its complete list of ingredients and 95% of them have been organically-produced. The product must not also contain synthetic preservatives and other prohibited substances, and must be free of GMOs.

The term “100% ORGANIC”, on the other hand, signifies that the product comes from 100% organically-produced ingredients. Seeing these on product labels will ensure that the product is GMO-free and entirely organic.

Lastly, “MADE WITH ORGANIC” means that the product has at least 70% organic ingredients, with the remaining 30% not coming from any food product or source. It is important to look into the list of non-organic ingredients to ensure that they are not included in the exclusion list for prohibited practices.

Organic Essential Oils Undergo Thorough Investigation

As mentioned, organic refers to the processes undergone when manufacturing a product. Like other products with the word “organic” attached to them, organic essential oils undergo a thorough investigation by auditors. It is only after passing that inspection process that the oils will receive an organic certification. That certification becomes the license to put the appropriate labels on these products.

Now that you know what it means to buy organic essential oils, it is time to choose one from our items here at Plant Guru. We have 100% sesame seed natural oil carriers, and other essential oils in our inventory.