Essential oils have been known to treat several conditions, including headaches or migraines among others. Take note that these oils can help do away with the problem by targeting or at least reducing what causes it. Some oils have been made to reduce pain, others to soothe stress and there are also those that help alleviate tension headache. Find out more about migraine and essential oils through the following list of recommended oils that can be used to soothe you from the problem.
List of Essential Oils for Migraine
Here is a list of essential oils that can help relieve migraine:
- Peppermint essential oil contains menthol which makes it ideal for relaxing the muscles and easing out pain. You can apply this to your temples, with a carrier oil, to relieve pain that comes with headaches and migraines.
- Lavender is known for its use in relaxation and stress relief. It has also been helpful in treating migraines. You can simply breathe in the lavender oil scent in order to treat migraine. After a couple of minutes, you will feel that pain has been reduced. You can also use a diffuser to spread the scent of the oil in your room. Some add it in their warm bath for a better effect.
- The anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties of rosemary make it ideal for treating migraine. It also improves circulation, reduces stress, and relieves pain. Once mixed with a carrier oil, you can apply it over the affected area.
- Headaches resulting from sinusitis can be best cured by eucalyptus. The essential oil opens up nasal passages and eventually clears the sinuses. From there, it can relieve you from the migraine headache. This can be combined with peppermint and ethanol too for a more relaxing effect. You can apply the mixture on your chest or dilute a few drops in hot water that you can use as a steam later.
- Known for helping relax and soothe the muscles, chamomile is definitely one of those essential oils that go well with migraine. It helps treat insomnia and anxiety which can be triggering your headache. Take note that this treatment is not recommended for pregnant women.
How to Mix Essential Oils for Migraine
Take note that there are different types of essential oils that can help with migraine as the ones mentioned above. Make sure that you dilute five drops of essential oil for every ounce of carrier oil. The reason for this is because you do not want your skin to be irritated which is common if you apply the essential oil directly on your skin. Coconut oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil are examples of carrier oils that you can include in the mix.
Are there Other Risks with Using Essential Oils?
Apart from irritating the skin, essential oils are regarded as safe. They can bring in a stinging, burning sensation that can result to a redness or rash when applied topically without any carrier oil. This is why it is recommended that you dilute your chosen essential oil to a carrier oil. You can perform a spot test to ensure you will not be allergic to the essential oil.