In an estimate, Americans suffer from 1 billion colds every year. Taking around 7-14 days to fully recover, it usually results in missing days from work or school. However, the healing process can be sped up with the use of essential oils! Some of them have antibacterial properties and are known to strengthen one’s immune system. Read on to find out more on how they could help you in combating your next cold.
Useful Essential Oils in Combating Colds
Getting plenty of rest and drinking lots of water is essential to overcoming the common cold. Adding moisture to the air using a humidifier can work to soothe the throat as well. The oils mentioned below can be added to your humidifier to combat your cold.
- Eucalyptus Oil: With its anti-inflammatory properties, this oil is fantastic in clearing up a stuffy nose, cough or sore throat.
- Thyme Oil: Being used as medicine throughout history, thyme has antibacterial and antiviral properties which is useful to combat the common cold.
- Rosemary Oil: Rosemary hosts a wide array of health benefits. It can help relieve muscle aches and soothe one’s sinuses. It can also help in relieving headaches.
- Peppermint Oil: Many supplements today contain peppermint, simply because of the great health benefits it offers. It’s an excellent way to improve one’s immune system and works in relieving cough and other respiratory symptoms.
- Geranium Oil: With its antibacterial and antiseptic properties, it works well in disinfecting the air.
- Oil Blends: An essential oil blend can work well together in targeting certain symptoms.
How to Use Them
There is a number of ways that these oils can be used to alleviate your symptoms. Here are some methods you could use to absorb these oils into your system.
- Cotton pads: Add 1-2 drops of oil onto cotton pads or cotton balls. Inhale from them directly or inhale them from a Ziploc bag
- Humidifiers: Add 1-2 drops of oil to the water in humidifiers or diffusers. These oils work in disinfecting the air and can soothe a sore throat or sinus congestion.
- Massage: These essential oils can be used as body oils for massage.
There Is No Better Medicine Than Prevention
While there is no definite way to be immune to the common cold, steps can be taken to prevent yourself from contracting viruses. When it comes to the cold season, do protect yourself and your family by diffusing these essential oils throughout the day.
- 6 drops of Eucalyptus Oil
- 6 drops of Tea Tree Oil
- 6 drops of Geranium Oil
When to Stop Using Them
There are certain situations that users would have to take note of when using essential oils. There are certain groups of people where the oils might have an adverse impact on them.
- Children: Toddlers are more susceptible towards having an adverse effect from inhaling these oils. There has been reports of seizures in small children, resulting from the inhalation of Eucalyptus Oil.
- Asthmatics: Severe asthma attacks might develop in Asthmatics when inhaling these oils. Special care should be taken to prevent adverse effects from happening.
- Pregnant women: Those who are pregnant should be wary of the oils that are absorbed into their body. There are certain oils that aren’t safe for their use.
At PlantGuru, we pride ourselves in providing quality essential oils at the most affordable prices. Thinking of trying out these oils for yourself? Browse through our wide selection of oils, blends, diffusers and Roll Ons that would help fight off the next time you have a cold.