While not every parent’s worst nightmare, cold and flu season ranks right up there toward the top of the list. But a kid-friendly essential oil blend that will help fight off aches, sore throats, runny and stuffy noses is right at your fingertips, and as close as the keyboard on your computer.
If you take preventative measures, and eat healthy, you are less likely to get sick. But even if those germs sneak in and you or your child ends up with the cold or the flu, essential oils can still be of use.
Cold and Flu Mixture for Children
You may want to alter the following mixture’s dilution, depending on the size of your child. A common mixture, however, is one tablespoon of carrier oil to three drops of essential oil. Avocado oil is one example of a carrier oil. If you’d like a larger batch, and will be using two different essential oils, use two tablespoons of carrier oil and three drops of each essential oil.
Some Recipes to Follow
You can alter this recipe as needed with various carrier oils and essential oils as you discover new oils and new uses for them. First, we’re going to introduce three cold and flu blends.
- “Thieves Blend” (adults only) – Thieves blend is a name that some companies have applied to a mixture of rosemary, cinnamon, eucalyptus, clove, and lemon essential oils cassia. These are undiluted and 100% pure and not for kids.
- “Germ Destroyer” Another nickname a mixture of lemon peel oil, melaleuca ericifolia leaf oil, lavender oil, margorana oil, and tsuga canadensis oil. The reasons for these ingredients is the stress on them being kids safe, were this for an adult, other essential oils such as cinnamon, clove, rosemary, and eucalyptus would have been used. If an adult in your home is suffering from the cold and flu, the latter ingredients will be extremely effective. However, be sure to keep it out of reach of children.
- “Sniffle Stopper” – This aptly named mixture consists of Juniperus oil, spearmint oil, cupressus leaf oil, tsuga canadensis leaf oil, melaleuca leaf oil, and abies sibirica oil.
It’s Time for the Big Cold and Flu Recipe
Keep in mind that some of the above listed oils may be hard to find so it would pay to research reasonable facsimiles. Now here’s how to blend the mixture for colds and flus:
- “Germ Destroyer” – three drops (if the cold and flu mixture is for an adult, and you are sure your kids aren’t going to use it, replace “Germ Destroyer” with “Thieves Blend”)
- “Sniffle Stopper” – three drops
- Carrier oil – two tablespoons (carrier oils such as almond oil, fractionated coconut oil, jojoba, and avocado work nicely)
How to Mix the Above Ingredients
Get yourself a roller container. Put all of the ingredients just listed inside that container and, every 2 to 3 hours, apply it on the back along the spine, behind the ears, and on the bottoms of feet.
Plant Guru carries all of the essential oils, carrier oils, body butters, and more that you will need to fight colds, care for your skin, and improve life in general. We have an impressive array of affordable products that are all natural and geared toward complete customer satisfaction. Shop Plant Guru today.